Welcome to 2014!
Thank you to everyone who came out to support us in our first few months. We're looking forward to growing even more this year, and are excited to have everyone along for the ride.
- New: Adult Indoors Drop-in Quidditch at the Collicutt Centre starting Tuesday February 4, 9:15-10:30PM. Just pay regular drop-in rate and come play and learn!
- Canceled: the January 18th Healthy Living Expo in Innisfail has been canceled so obviously, we won't be attending it
- To Be Determined: we'll continue to evaluate the conditions for outdoor quidditch but based on our last practice in December, we suspect the conditions may still be a bit dangerous (frostbite in thigh-deep snow). We will update when we can restart outdoor Saturday practices (finding a new location, likely). In the meantime, adults can attend our Drop-In but kids will have to wait until later this winter or spring. Sorry; there's just too much snow to be safe right now, and safety is essential.
- Save the Date: Saturday March 29 for the Red Deer Quidditch Tournament (yeah, we'll come up with a better name). Please plan to come and play with us, cheer us on, or volunteer! More details will come in future posts.
- Conventions: details are to be confirmed but we will have a table at Calgary Entertainment Expo April 24 to 27. Definitely plan to attend--if all goes well, we'll be part of a panel presentation and some demonstration games, too!
And that's just to start the year. See, told you it was going to be exciting!
Welcome to our first major fundraiser--online t-shirt sales!
Like the shirt you see? Go to teespring.com/BrutalGame to buy yours *OR* if you live in Central Alberta you can join our bulk order and save on shipping. Just email us your name, phone number, and size and we'll sort out the rest!
Funds from this campaign will go toward establishing Central Alberta Quidditch, allowing us to host and travel to tournaments, and expand the advertising of our sport throughout the local area. If it goes very well, I hope to start a fund to purchase equipment to help develop more teams in our area.
This type of fundraiser has worked very well for a variety of teams in Canada and the United States in the past, as it allows you to sell shirts to fans worldwide. Please help us spread the word as far as you can by sharing it on Facebook (see below!), Twitter or via email.
Please note to the best of our knowledge, no one has actually died playing quidditch, so please consider buying the shirt, sharing the link, *and* trying the sport at any of our practices!
This Saturday October 20, members of Central Alberta Quidditch, along with some friends from U of C HP Muggle Quidditch in Calgary, will be showcasing quidditch at a rugby tournament in Red Deer. We're excited to play at a great facility, and with some fun athletes.
Our games will be held between 2 to 4 pm, so it replaces our regular Saturday practice. Event is open to the public, and we hope to draw a crowd.
The Red Deer Rugby club is just south of Gasoline Alley. Here is a map to help get you there:
A few representatives participated in the Edmonton Entertainment and Comic Expo this past weekend, with great success.
Working with Edmonton Potterwatch and the other quidditch teams from across the province, we hosted a workshop showing people the basics of how to play quidditch and answering questions about starting a team and the various positions and roles on the pitch.